Saturday, October 29, 2011

It's time to say.....

Happy Saturday morning to you girls....it is POURING down rain here for us....it's barely 50 degrees...a great day to cuddle up at home which is exactly what we're going to do....one of the things on my mind today is the ...END OF OCTOBER....(oh sad)....
Alice and I are waving a fond farewell to one of the best months of the year....This sweet little statue of ..."ALICE IN WONDERLAND"  was a present from my dad years ago when I was seven ....he was a musician ...he played the accordion ....in the early 6o's he had a job at Disneyland playing with a band on main street....he brought this little Alice home for me with a watch wrapped at her feet....my sister got Snow White...I cherish her...
I was up in the attic recently and found one of my favorite books.... "The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady" have you ever heard of it...It was published in the  late seventy's....after the journal and all her paintings were found in England by her family...she lived in the early 1900's...
This is a picture of Edith...
She would go out into the countryside of England to journal and draw ...plants...flowers...animals...she had a wonderful talent the book above "The Edwardian Lady" is the story of Edith's life...it's a very good book with pictures of her family...herself...and of course her paintings...
Her attention to detail when drawing birds and animals was impeccable...
She didn't spend a lot of time painting houses or cottages so this picture is one of my favorites
This print is of the goats used in the book "Gruff the Goat"...I believe that was the name..anyway she had some other books published as well
I've never seen this one but I am on the hunt for it...during the eighties many gift items were made of her work...tin cans...purses...apothecary jars with her artwork on the front of the bottles...I think  the tradition of recording nature keeping a  journal as the seasons roll in and out is so charming...it's a very Victorian snap shot of  the female life back then...if any of you love to read good books about that era with fabulous pictures these books are... KEEPERS...well girls that's it for me today...I hope you all have a great Saturday....big hugs and blessings too till next time.....Karena

3 comments:

  1. Oh my Karena...so much to comment to you on this lovely post....

    I love Edith Holden and have blogged about her as one of my heroines in the past. I have both of her journals and the biography you show plus a few other books. I also have the TV series of her life on DVD. It is wonderful to watch over and over. Especially at this time of year, it comes out so I can sit with a cup of tea and my stitching and watch it.

    We went to the areas in England where she lived but could not find her house there which is a shame. I wish they had turned it into a museum. I am so inspired by her that I started a nature diary myself when we got Cranberry Cottage but did not keep it up. I keep thinking each January that I will pick it back up again and continue.

    Have you ever heard of the Dutch artist Marjolein Bastin? She is our times answer to Edith Holden.

    Hugs from Holland ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Karena, those are surely some beautiful pictures! I am not familiar with The Edwardian Lady but I will keep my eye out for them!

    I adore that statue, sweet childhood memories:) Enjoy your weekend dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Karena! I had a Alice In Wonderland watch, too, when I was a kid but mine came in a little case. I don't know what ever happened to it though.

    I have een that book and her images are wonderful. We also had a copy of Billy Goat Gruff when the kids were little. I loved the illustrations in it.

    Great post! And the person above mentioned Marjolein Bastin and I LOVE her works. I always get her calender for my kitchen every year! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete

I am BLESSED to hear from you....comments are WELCOME