Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Simple ...Tastie...& Down To Earth....

When I was little my mom would make what she called "Boiled Dinner"...I have wonderful memories of how the house smelled...the process of cutting the veggies (which I helped her do as I grew older)...this tasty simple dinner was always one of my favorites...This is really Corn Beef and Cabbage....with extra veggies...You get your corn beef wash it off being sure to find the spice packet they include in  the packaging...put  in a dutch oven...add water enough to fill the pot 1/2 way ...add the spice packet...put it in the oven at 350 degrees for 3 hours...no need to check it...the less you uncover the pot the better...

45 minutes before your 3 hours is up get your carrots ...onion...and potatoes...( russet work best here...they are sturdy enough to take the boiling without turning to mush...) Add to your pot on top of the corn beef...set timer for 25 minutes...

Now is a good time to cut and quarter your cabbage...I always use green cabbage...just because I love the taste of it...but you could use purple if you prefer...

When the 25 minutes is up for your veggies....open your pot and add the cabbage...depending on how much your cooking this may take some "lid squishing" ...not to worry the cabbage cooks down quickly...

After your full 3 hours is up I spoon the meat and veggies onto a platter for serving ...which as you can see is a step I missed with my camera...but you get the idea...it is a REALLY YUMMY MEAL....the kids did come and share this with us last night...these are their plates served up...mine is off the side...they were happy little eaters...we ALL were...I am thankful to have this memory of Marmie's boiled dinner ...I hope you all have a great day today...were just a few days away from another weekend...OH BOY....hoping you all have a brilliant day whether  in sun...rain...or snow....till next time big hugs ....Karena

2 comments:

  1. YUMMY! I can almost smell it cooking! I will be having this soon! Have a blessed day my friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made a boiled dinner in years...but we had it a lot when I was a kid! LOVE this-thanks for the reminder to make it again! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete

I am BLESSED to hear from you....comments are WELCOME